Thursday, August 6, 2009

Climb to Gunung Lambak, Kluang


During my trip to Kluang to visit my Branch about a month ago, there along the way I saw the road sinage showing there was two mountains, Gunung Lambak and Gunung Lumut. During the meeting with my staff told them my interest on mountain climbing and they said they are alos into mountain climbing and every month they climb.


Every week due to busy schedule the climb was postponed till on the 8th August 2009, was it planned or fated 8/8. To get my stamina up was very deligently going to the gym where I was working myself for about an hour a day far the past 3 weeks. On on the 7 th Friday after the regular workout I felt a sharp pain on my right knee, but did not want to give any importance to the pain as I was excited to climb the mountain, it has been more than 5 months since my last climb which was to Bukit Tabur at Taman Melawati.

Woke up at 5.30am at about 6.45 left JB with high energy during the journey as usuak was chanting Gayathri mantra for guidance and protection. Reached Kluang at about 8am and had a short briefing to all the staff and we left for the climb....we did our warm-up which was conducted by the Branch Manager and started the climb at 8.50am. 15 of us started the climb, the beigning of the climb was quite easy where the trail was good, then started the actual climb where we need to climb steep trail and at the 3 rd stop when I enquired there was only 7 of still climbing 2 was ahead of me and 4 was at the back.....at this point it make me wonder why did they give up, what went wrong, when I further probed them why??? they said all this while during the clim they only go till the half way mark not till the peak.

During this period I was questioning my leadership qualities, should I have lead from the back where I could motivated them to get to the peak and experience on achieving the limitation of the body. But this was a bit of setback but was happy that there is still 7 of us still climbing the toughest part of the mountain at this point not many climbers could be seen. I didnt want any more drop outs so I told them to take rest should they need, but a step at a time would take them to the peak.

After about 1hr and 20 minutes I reached the peak 2 other climbers have reached it way before me and after another 15minutes the other 4 also reached. We could view part of Kluang town from the point after about 15 minutes we started our decent. It took us about an hour before we reached to the car park. At the car park we did the warm down and then assembeled at the office again. I told the staff whom gave up the climb to not take such a easy way out when faced with a issue or problems, we should challenge ourself our limitations, break barriers within us if we were to achieve excelence. Told them that we need to scale another mountain Gunung Lumut within the next few months maybe after Raya. Left Kluang towards KL with a feelin of joy and sadness, joy because I reached the peak together with 6 of us who for the 1st time reached the peak like me and saddness cause 8 did not attempt to concquer the limitation among themselves.

In this journey of life where its full of challenges and obstacles, we need to have a resolute like that in the story of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, where the seagull did want to be like any ordinary seagull, it wanted to know what he can do so it learned high attitude flying, we all need to be like this seagull break the bariers in us in search of excellence.

2 comments:

  1. hey vijay first of all congratulations. great read. havent read the others yet. will do so gradually. keep writing. wonderful start. from subrata roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i kinda enjoyed on your adventure. keep it up! will read through the rest. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete